Screen Shot 2023 07 18 At 10.35.00 PM

La vie en Cherubs

Story by
The cherubs took photos together in the Shakespeare Garden at Northwestern. Photo by Angelica Pardo

The first “real world” test for cherubs is the interviewing assignment – the journalistic equivalent of setting 84 baby deer loose. It’s the first exposure to the challenges of journalism: talking to strangers, facing rejection and staying under a word limit.

My strategy: saying hello to people I passed on the street and judging their reactions. I gave an old man walking home with his groceries a soft “Hi.”

“Hi!” he said and beamed. Bingo!

In a 20-minute interview, I discovered that he used to work for the Chicago Symphony. I play viola, which sparked a conversation on the lyrical beauty of the instrument. We gushed about bossa nova, a niche genre of Brazilian jazz. He pointed to my soccer jersey; he played in high school, too.

I nervously checked my phone every so often to see if I could squeeze in another interview and dinner before the 7 p.m. lecture. I couldn’t. But I had learned to be brave.

It pays off in journalism and in friendship. I met three of my best friends here by sitting next to them at lunch, cracking a joke and joining their conversation. At first, I just gravitated toward whoever laughed at my jokes. Now, after long nights playing Jackbox games, sharing Spotify playlists, texting in French at 2 a.m. and taking hundreds of photos, I’ve finished these four weeks knowing how to talk to strangers – and make everlasting friends.