Screen Shot 2023 07 18 At 10.35.00 PM

Taking on Junior Junior Olympics

Story by
Members of John Kupetz’s team huddle together at the beginning of Junior Junior Olympics, wearing green, their designated color. Photo by Karina Aronson

Eighty-four cherubs walked across the Lakefill, decked out in their designated color and associated spirit wear. 

They were headed to Junior Junior Olympics, where instructor groups competed against each other in tug-of-war, dizzy bat, three-legged race, a balloon toss and crack-open-a-frozen-shirt-and-wear-it. The event was an opportunity to win points for individual instructor groups, similar to others like Instructor Jeopardy and Cherubs Got Talent.

“Everyone really got into it. I thought it was more planned than the other big events we have done,” Harry Lowitz of Chicago, a member of the Cherney Cherubs, said. “I was just happy to be a part of it, repping the light blue and being there with my team.” 

J.A. Adande’s team, the Pink Panthers, won Junior Junior Olympics. 

“My team worked very hard and practiced for weeks leading up to it, and it all paid off,” said Carlo Vellandi of Ladera Ranch, California.  

Cherubs said the Junior Junior Olympics was a good way to get to know each other in a non-academic setting.

For Lindsey Steel of Los Altos, California, Junior Junior Olympics was a bonding experience. She said she felt disconnected from her group before the event.  

“It was a great way to get to know people I haven’t talked to,” Steel said. “We all got really invested in the competition. It just brought us closer.”

Sara Rooney of Vienna, Virginia, said the event was also an opportunity to hang out with her friends. 

“I love everyone on that team,” said Rooney, a member of the Car-lin Manuel Mirandas. “It was great and an amazing experience with the friends I have made. We all got ice cream afterward.”