Screen Shot 2023 07 18 At 10.35.00 PM

Broadcast Journalism: What to expect

Story by
Olivia Cyrus edits a broadcast package. Photo by Ashley Dong

A print journalist by trade, I wanted to try broadcast at cherubs, but didn’t know where to start. The Medill program lets us learn from mistakes. It took me three tries and I learned that the key with anything in journalism, including broadcast, is persistence.

At the first broadcast lab, we were told to download Davinci Resolve. The screen “13 hours remaining” stared at me. I switched computers and began my journey on the iMac. I had one hour to put together a broadcast package.

Easy, I thought. I was wrong. I didn’t finish.

My next opportunity was a Sunday broadcast lab. We had as much time as we needed, but I was determined to finish in under two hours. The moon was shining as I left the lab. Maybe next time was my chance. Broadcast couldn’t get rid of me that easily.

By Broadcast Lab III, I managed to put together a package in under an hour, and it looked good.

I learned that broadcast takes practice. It’s not as easy as sitting in front of a camera and talking. Putting together a package is just as rewarding as seeing your face on the big screen.

Cherubs worked on a variety of videos during the program on everything from dorm life to academic clubs. Below is a selection of their work:

Academics

About

A look at the academics of cherubs where students learn to write, shoot videos, edit and put together audio stories.

Credits

Campus

About

A look at the Northwestern University campus where cherubs live during the program.

Credits

City

About

A look at the city of Evanston, where cherubs get a chance to eat, shop and explore. 

Credits

Experiences

About

A look at the experiences cherubs have during the program.

Credits