Screen Shot 2023 07 18 At 10.35.00 PM

Overcoming roommate FOMO

Story by
Zoey Sternoff and Chloe Lewcock hang out in Sternoff's single dorm. Photo by Charlie Perlman.

On my first day immersed in the life of a college student, I scoured Jones Hall for room 317. I finally found my door, marked by a name tag “Millie Reich, Los Angeles, CA,” and, to my surprise, nothing else. Just my name, alone on the door, in a hall full of pairs.

Admittedly, I was relieved. Forced socialization past a certain hour has never been my favorite thing. Even so, I was daunted by the expansive four hours until the first program event which I knew would be full of awkward conversations and icebreakers. Talking to a roommate would have filled that time.

My mom and I kept ourselves busy for the next few hours. We explored Evanston and looted the local Crossroads thrift store. But once the last-minute Target essentials were bought and my room was set up perfectly, I realized that was it.

My parents lingered as long as socially acceptable, and after our final goodbyes, I was left with…myself.

After about half an hour, I decided to leave my room with worries that I would spend the next four weeks friendless. As soon as I opened my door, I met the girl in the single next to mine. She wore the same denim shorts and white T-shirt I had put on that morning. Comforted by our matching outfits and introductory conversation, I knew I wasn’t going to be lonely.

Spoiler alert: I made friends, some of the best in my life, and along the way, I began to forget my initial roommate jealousy.

After hours of classes, conversations and adventures, my room became a safe place and an escape from the chaos of 84 teenagers living together. I woke up, went to sleep and made my bed (or not) on my own schedule.

Although I cherished this freedom, the time alone was much sweeter knowing my friends were waiting for me outside my door.