Screen Shot 2023 07 18 At 10.35.00 PM

LISTEN: Talents run beyond journalism

Story by
Cherub Savannah Bond sings and strums a ukulele at Cherubs Got Talent. Photo by William Barrett.

[MUSIC]

We’re all good at journalism here at cherubs, but what makes us unique? I can make a three-leaf clover with my tongue, but I highly doubt that anyone wants to see that. For cherubs who are interested in showing off their talents, what better place than Cherubs Got Talent? 

[MUSIC]

The Community and academic associates announced the cherub talent show three days before the performance, leaving a few groups scrambling to put together an act. Even though it was a quick turn around, some cherubs had been interested since the first day they stepped on campus. For William Karr, he knew the talent show was his destiny.

WILLIAM KARR: From the start, when I heard about Cherubs Got Talent, I remembered seeing past videos of people from previous years participating in it, and it looked so fun. But, I didn’t really have anyone to do it with, so I was kinda just like hoping someone would ask, and when someone did I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m jumping on that opportunity.’

William’s group decided to see how quickly they could identify Taylor Swift songs while blindfolded. Some members were diehard Swifties, sporting their cardigans with red stars, but not William. He was just there for the ride.

WILLIAM: I enjoy Taylor Swift songs, but naming them, knowing the lyrics, that’s up to debate whether I can do that.

Though William didn’t have a talent on display, other cherubs performed acts that they have been honing for some time. Ivanna Zhang performed a classical piece on the flute. Luckily, she brought her instrument to cherubs and decided the talent show was the best place to practice. 

IVANNA ZHANG: It’s because I don’t know what else to do. I brought my flute, because I just kinda needed to practice and flute is a great way for me to–when I have time or when I’m stressed out–it just helps me to keep calm, because all you focus on is the music. 

[IVANNA PLAYING THE FLUTE]

The CAA’s were in charge of judging the show. They used a couple of different factors to decide the winner, but uniqueness and time spent preparing were the main categories on the judges’ minds. Juliet Allan valued acts that weren’t the standard. 

JULIET ALLAN: We really love when people step out of their comfort zones. We love when people are collaborative, have good crowd work. We also look for effort. The winners this year put in so much effort. There was so much creativity, which we really love. 

Vidyuth Sridhar was a testament to the collaboration of Cherubs Got Talent. He began on the piano with classical music, but his current favorite is contemporary songs that everyone can sing along to. 

[VIDYUTH PLAYING PIANO]

VIDYUTH SRIDHAR: What I like the most is making people happy and enjoy what I have to offer, and if they’re singing along to me, that’s the biggest compliment I could ever receive. 

The winner of the talent show was a group who performed a parody of “Espresso” by Sabrina Carpenter, featuring elements of the average cherubs’ life like Colectivo, absentee sources, and free time with friends. 

[CHERUBS SINGING “ESPRESSO” PARODY]

The underlying theme of the winning acts was community and pure fun. Evelyn Won didn’t perform, but she noticed how the beauty of the cherub community was on display during Vid’s piano performance. 

EVELYN WON: Vid was able to bring all the cherubs together in that one moment, and we were all singing Bohemian Rhapsody, and we’re all harmonizing with each other, and I just thought it was super fun.

[VIDYUTH PLAYING BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY]

From Cherub News, this is Camille Culbertson.   

[CHERUBS SINGING ALONG TO BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY]

Music by Lee Rosevere