Andy’s Frozen Custard is a must-try Evanston staple. Cherubs frequented it most days of the week, especially after evening lectures or activities such as Cheraoke.
Many cherubs had regular orders, while others tried a new flavor each visit. Though there’s no going wrong with the Andy’s menu, some pointers may be helpful for first-timers. Here is the definitive Andy’s flavor guide, according to 2017 cherubs.
BootDaddy: Andy’s vanilla frozen custard blended with Oreos®, caramel syrup and hot fudge.
- Jilly Rolnick, Hillsborough, California: “I love caramel, and I’m more of a vanilla person, so all of that mixed together makes for a really nice experience. It’s my default.”
- Saira Singh, from La Cañada, California: “It’s really flavorful and the texture is really nice. It’s like tasting your favorite song on a sunny day.”
Triple Chocolate: Chocolate frozen custard blended with chocolate-chip cookie dough and melted chocolate chip.
- Rachel Schonberger, from Weston, Florida: “I like that it’s really sweet, but it has a little warmth because of the melted chocolate chip. It’s very comforting and really flavorful.”
- Carlin McCarthy, cherub instructor from Madison, Connecticut, and 2017 Medill graduate: “This has been my flavor for four years. For me, it’s like coming home. It’s what I will miss most about Northwestern when I leave.”
Snowmonster: Vanilla frozen custard blended with strawberries and melted chocolate chip.
- Kaitlyn Tom, from Hillsborough, California: “The ratio of chocolate chunks to strawberries, and the way they mix it in. It’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced.”
- Carmen Molina, from Bethesda, Maryland: “It’s summer, so the strawberries hit that craving for something fresh after you’ve been eating in Hinman all day or all week.”
James Brownie Funky Jackhammer: Vanilla frozen custard blended with creamy peanut butter and brownies, then filled with hot fudge.
- James Barringer, from Arlington, Virginia: “I get it every time. It’s a wonderful blend of flavors. It’s all around a great experience. Highly recommend.”
- Alex Schwartz, Community Associate from Celebration, Florida: “I got the James Brownie Funky Jackhammer with melted chocolate added to it. It was so decadent.”
Chocolate or Vanilla Cone/Cup
- Liat Weinstein, from Brooklyn, New York: “I like the straight-up chocolate because it’s very good chocolate. It’s really creamy and pretty rich, but not as rich as the brownie and peanut butter one.”
- Sarah Fernandez, from Henderson, Nevada: “The vanilla cone is a classic taste that melts in your mouth. For every day, it’s more practical.”
Custom concretes: Vanilla frozen custard blended with the topping of your choice.
- AJ Shaheen, from Petaluma, California: “My classic is the vanilla with brownie. I don’t want someone else choosing what I like. I know my own taste buds, I know what they desire. I can translate that into frozen custard.”
- Livi Burdette, from Hopkinton, New Hampshire: “I get a custom concrete with Butterfinger. It’s like creating your own flavor of ice cream. You can do whatever you want with it.”