Write and roll all night

Eight boys remained at the 4 a.m. point of their all-nighter the day the trend stories were due. Photo by Joseph Ramos

I’ll be honest: I didn’t plan to stay up for 25 hours, but it happened.

Basically, it started with Ben Fagell’s 18th birthday celebration on Saturday night. Maybe it was my remarkable ability to procrastinate, but really, I think it was just sheer stupidity that kept me from closing my eyes that night. However, with trend stories, resumes and cover letters all due the next day, I approached the night with a strong urge to finish my work and go to bed early. Right?

Nah.

I typed the final word of my trend story and threw my arms in the air out of relief. My watch said 1:52 a.m., and I was elated. Now, I could finish my resume and cover letter in less than an hour and hop into bed before 3 a.m. The portable speaker in the lounge was still blasting Rex Orange County, and I was sitting there with a distracted Didi Jin and Larry Ding, an energetic J.J. Post, a focused Joseph Ramos, an increasingly frustrated Jude Herwitz and a delirious Ike Bryant. I started to crave a game of Word Hunt with Didi and felt that I earned it, so the two of us started to play.

When I checked my watch at 2:48 a.m., I knew I had messed up. The craving had turned into twenty-something games of Word Hunt with Didi. I was now angry at myself and the iPhone app GamePigeon for being so fun and addicting. Joseph, too, felt his lack of productivity was creeping too far into the morning.

“I went back to the fridge and got my second dose of coffee,” Joseph said. “I was starting to feel a little nervous.”

The second floor boys take a photo at 5 a.m. during their all-nighter. Photo by Joseph Ramos

I finally put my head down and started to construct my cover letter. Somehow, it came together quickly. I immediately transitioned to my resume while I was still in a groove. I think I subconsciously slowed down in solidarity with the group since some people seemed to be more entertained by the sound of the air conditioner than finishing their stories.

“My resume took me three hours,” Jude said. “I was doing like one minute of work every 10 minutes.”

As we approached 4 a.m., we decided to start taking hourly photos to commemorate the night – er, morning. At this point, everyone’s brains were churning, we probably would’ve gotten in bed at 2 a.m. if we had started the night that way.

At 6 a.m. of their all nighter, the boys walked outside to watch the sunrise. Photo by Joseph Ramos

“Every time you stay up late, all you have to do is get past that hour or two where you feel really tired, and you’re pretty much fine,” Larry said.

At 6 a.m., eyes heavy and vision blurry, the seven survivors of the all-nighter shuffled downstairs. The rainy morning didn’t stop our ambition as we embarked on a journey to see the sunrise. The trip to the Lakefill capped a night that featured a roller coaster of emotions.

“It was really nice to get some fresh air and listen to the raindrops and thunder,” Larry said. “Being there with the boys, it was definitely worth it.”