Couch surfing? Nah. Try couch squatting

The couch on the boys’ floor is where Jude Herwitz spends much of his time. Photo by Litong Cao

If any phrase can describe five weeks at cherubs, it is “work hard, play hard”: The impending doom of the trend story deadline canceled out by the satisfaction of watching the sun rise at 6 the next morning; the soul-crushing torture of transcribing long interviews made bearable by friends’ jokes.

My friends’ fun and games created the perfect conditions for my stress tsunami. By the second week I had staked my claim on a three-person couch in the boys’ common room, where I spent more than five hours a day. It was perfect. I could work, snack, laugh and nap all in the same place!

My favorite furniture’s first trial came during the feature story. Gray clouds menaced me as I walked back from Fisk Hall after the morning lecture, so schlepping to the library seemed like an invitation to get soaked. Back at East Fairchild I showered, put on sweatpants and gazed upon the common room. The cushions beckoned me to stretch out, but I resolved to bust out a solid 1,000 words in the next hour. With headphones on and Kodak Black blasting, I was ready to work. The first sentence flowed. The second sentence was a struggle. By the third sentence, I couldn’t make out words on my screen. There wasn’t a fourth one.

Two hours later, after my headphones had run out of battery, my computer’s crashing to the floor woke me up. Nap hangover aside, I was furious. My roommate, Joe Ramos, listened as I declared that I would never –– and yes, I mean never –– fall victim to the chaise’s charm. As it turned out, between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. I spent another four hours on that couch.

The next morning, I once again couldn’t bring myself to trek to Deering Library. This time, Ike Bryant and Didi Jin joined me in the common room. From 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., eight words appeared on my screen. I wrote six of them; Ike pulled a legendary prank and added his name when I looked away.

Yet I wouldn’t miss that procrastination for the world. I’ll have the opportunity to transcribe an interview at any point in my life. Spending time with my fellow cherubs, and my renowned resting place, will not always be an option.