Styling hair and fashioning friendships

Adam Levine takes a selfie while Annie Rubinson (back) pours hair dye on his head. Photo by Adam Levine

Adam Levine of Brookeville, Maryland, said he took a spontaneous leap of faith when he decided to let some cherubs dye his hair in the dorm.

He didn’t plan a drastic change — only a darker shade of his natural reddish-brown. After a disappointing trip to Target, Levine and his friends found the perfect color at CVS and hurried back to the dorms, where chief colorist Annie Rubinson of West Harrison, New York, transformed one of the  third-floor bathrooms into a salon. 

For the cherubs of 2019, dorm life included everything from watching “Black Mirror” in the main lounge to playing soccer at 2 a.m. on the boys floor. (Don’t ask.) But the braiding, hair cutting and hair dyeing of cherubs was the main event. (Or shall we say, “mane” event?)

“Last year, my school did the ‘Addams Family’ for their fall musical,” Levine said. “And I told myself that if I was cast as one of the Addams, I would dye my hair.” 

Was he cast in the musical? No, but Levine still agreed to let Rubinson handle his hair. Sitting in the bathroom on a wooden chair from the common room, he poured the thick, brownish liquid from the plastic bottle and into Rubinson’s gloved hands. A dozen or so cherubs lingered in the corridor, watching Levine’s makeover. 

After an hour-and-a-half of sudsing, massaging and rinsing, he debuted his new ‘do at check-in to the astonishment of instructors Mary Lou Song and Joe Grimm. 

“They looked shocked,” said Nora Fellas of Croton-on-Hudson, New York. “The look was of endearing bemusement but also horror at the same time.”

Next up, Ava Seccuro of Beverly Hills, California. Rubinson lopped two inches off of her hair and added a lot more pink. 

“I’ve already done pink before, and if I was really going to let Annie do my hair, why not stick with something I know looks decent on my hair color?” Seccuro said. 

Seccuro said the temporary dye will fade after 15 washes, but the memories will be permanent. 

Julia Robbins of New York City didn’t cut or dye her hair. Instead, she had her curly red hair braided almost everyday by a cherub. 

“Touching someone’s hair is an intimate thing to do, so it immediately creates a bond with someone that otherwise might not have been there.” Robbins said.

Through the cutting, dyeing and braiding, dorm life in East Fairchild creates a sense of community. 

“It’s something we can talk about years from now,” Securro said. “It’s a whole thing about distinguishing our year from the rest, because we have something really special going on here.”