A run with a view: cherubs stay (somewhat) fit

A view from the footpath where cherubs run. Photo by Kate Hennessey

Whether it was walking 10 miles on the Fourth of July, running along the lakefront, lifting weights in the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion or working out in the exercise room in East Fairchild, cherubs found inventive ways to try to stay in shape. 

Many of the journalism students admitted, however, that they toned down their normal exercise routine.

Emma Rosenbaum of Bedford, New Hampshire, said she traded once-a-day workouts for once-a-week ones. She wanted to get up early every morning to run, but hit snooze sometimes after fun, late nights. Still, she occasionally jogged on the lakefront path, and even sent her grandfather a photo of the Chicago skyline mid-jog.

Megan McGregor of Philadelphia, said she normally dives, rock climbs and plays field hockey. She said she avoided the long walk to the sports pavilion (and the $9 charge), and instead used the small East Fairchild exercise room with a working elliptical and weights machine.

“I just improvise with whatever I can find,” she said.

Some dedicated athletes found they could exercise most days of the week with some creativity and compromise.

Grace Roeshot of Port Matilda, Pennsylvania, does “silent burpees,” push-ups and squats in her dorm room. Having a single room allows her to exercise there without worrying about disrupting a roommate.

“I usually just do it right before dinner,” she said. “I’m still getting a lot of steps in cause we’re going downtown all the time, so I don’t feel the need to do as intense workouts.”

Cherubs often walk into downtown Evanston to get food, coffee or interviews, finding themselves accidentally surpassing 10,000 steps almost every day.

Emmet Jamieson of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, runs for the cross country and track teams at his high school. He says he tries to train in the mornings four or five times a week, for up to 75 minutes, following the workout plan of his coach.

“I just want to stay up and have fun and not run,” Jamieson said. “I’m not here to run. I’m here to write and make friends, so I think it’s OK to dial back a bit.”